Saturday, July 31, 2010

Why is ';Be yourself'; the most frequent advice for people who want to improve their social lives?

As far as I've noticed those who are ';themselves'; are viewed as weirdos, while those who do as the tv tells them too are usually the coolest. So why is it that whenever you need an advice it sound like ';just be yourself.';?Why is ';Be yourself'; the most frequent advice for people who want to improve their social lives?
I hate that expression don't you? It's very hard for me to be myself because of the social anxiety disorder I have and my extreme shyness. Once I get to know people and I can be myself I usually get along with people. I guess that expression is used because if you are fake how can you be trusted and/or liked? You could hide who you are but that only makes you miserable.Why is ';Be yourself'; the most frequent advice for people who want to improve their social lives?
It's good advice.


Unless you're personality is on a level with that of a rotting tree stump.
Because ';being yourself'; is the most honest form of communication and it's really hard to keep pretending. If someone doesn't like you for you, then they need to move on to the next person. Too many people spend their whole lives trying desperately to fit in and don't realize how great they really are. If people are going to like you, then it should be the ';real'; you. Not someone who you are trying to be. Life is way too short to worry about other people's opinions.
It depends on what sort of life you want for yourself doesn't it?


If you are happy following your passions %26amp; your heart who gives a rat's a** if people think you are weird? Would you rather be ';cool'; in the eyes of people who have been anesthetized by the mainstream media?
i will say be a 80% yourself. because for example, when you deal with your sisters or your brothers at home, do you act normal ? or try to fake your personality with them? if you tried to fake your personality infront of your brother and sister they will feel strange around you, same thing with relationship, a lover would like to see you comfortable with him. because he already knows that when he himself act ';himself'; he does similar thing. so why hiding things from each other.
because what does it matter what the tv says? just be an improved version of yourself. tv is fake. and ';cool';? who cares about being cool. the ones who try to be ';cool'; are the ones who smoke pot in the 4th grade.
Because trying to be someone you are not will eventually drive the people around you away once%26amp;when they discover who you really are.It takes alot of effort to try to be someone else.most times it only results in frustration%26amp; depression. Trying to be cool coz the tv says so will only turn you into a weirdo once you fail to keep up the charade and loneliness is the end result.


It is better to be viewed as weired taking comfort in the fact that you have 1 genuine friend who will stick by your side no matter the circumstances than have a crowd of people around just coz you are cool and yet you dont know who to trust or which of them is really your friend. Ever heard of 'being alone in a crowd?' well thats exactly what trying to be someone your not feels and is like.
because some people like people for who they are and not what they can become or should conform too
Because pretending to be someone else requires too much energy and is doomed to failure anyway.





If you hold what the boob tube tells you is cool than maybe you need to turn off the tv and get your own personality.





It is the ';weirdos'; that do most of the creative, innovative and breakthrough things anyway.





Why aspire to be a Lemming?
Because the media is always changing what is cool and desirable you will keep reinventing yourself and never feel happy. Confidence is key,as long as your happy with you, you will find other people who like you for you. Do you always want to be acting to get people to like you. You may come off as fake.
I think it's good advice too. As for the weird part, I always told my kids ';weird is just another word for unique';. Who cares if someone thinks you're weird? I mean, what does it really matter? I spent way too much of my life growing up and in young adulthood trying to be what I thought was expected of me, and eventually I'd buried the real me so deep that I didn't even know how to find it anymore. Now...I am just me...take it or leave it. If you choose to leave it that's fine with me, because I have no desire to be some way just because someone else expects it.





Now that said, I'm not saying there are not rules of etiquette and a certain amount of conformity necessary to survive well in our society. I'm talking about the core of who a person is...what's important to them, or their personality and views on life I guess. I mean, maybe someone is a happy person who will act goofy and silly, or dance around or something. Some people might look at them and think they were weird. My thought is 'tough'! LOL I am what I am. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment