Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Can you please give me advice on college and life?

I'm originally from northern California but chose to attend college in southern California. I'm ridiculously unhappy here. My roommate is extremely weird. She has yet to wash her bedding (we've been in school for about two months now). I have good grades and I have a group of friends but to be honest they're not really people I truly click with.





I miss my family. I don't sit around homesick all day but that definitely isn't helping. I'm not really into all the superficial stuff and at this point I pretty much spend the majority of the day in my room on my computer.





It's easy to say go make friends and join clubs and I did in the beginning. I just didn't find anyone I really click with. Everyone has their core group of friends at this point, as far as I can tell.





I'm thinking of transferring to a community college closer to home for second semester and making a TAG with a better college which is also closer to home. Do you think I'm giving up on the situation and not trying hard enough? I always had friends in high school and it was never really a problem.





It might seem pathetic and anti-social but sitting on your computer all day really sucks. And it's not as easy as go outside and leave your room... I go to a smaller college... there is nothing to do. People are in their rooms with friends there aren't any open areas to hang-out.





In the opening speech the dean of my college warned us that the social dynamics here have been referred to as high school cliques on steroids. I guess I just need another person's opinion on the situation.Can you please give me advice on college and life?
College should be fun, so if you're unhappy I would transfer to somewhere that you think you could be happier... even if it is community college for a couple years then a university. Just make sure your credits will transfer tooCan you please give me advice on college and life?
Simply put: if you're unhappy, leave.





However, I will say that it IS just your first semester. When I started college (went to the University of Michigan but I am from Georgia... so I didn't know a SOUL on campus lol) it was like that for me too. For the first few weeks all I did was study and talk on the phone with my friends from back home. BUT I eventually connected with one girl and I kind of came into her group of friends and from then on it was AWESOME.





So just make sure that you're FULLY giving the experience a chance before you give up... you don't wanna leave and then always wonder if it was a mistake...





I hope this helps!! Feel better!!
college is supposed to fun, but it is also a life learning experience. it makes you step outside of your comfort zone, especially socially. i would suggest trying for a roommate change first. roommates can make or break your college experience. if you have a fantastic one, right off the bat you two have each other and you have that social connection. but in your case it sounds like you do not have that, so right off the bat you were put at a bit of a disadvantage.





if the roommate switch doesn't work. then transfer. there is no point staying somewhere you are not happy. but like the previous post said, you really need to make sure your credits will transfer.





a roommate switch is a quick and easy, no hassle option for right now. it wont hurt your situation any. whats the worst that can happen? you dont like your new one, just like you didnt like the first one- then you are in the same situation, no worse. but it could really change everything.





good luck
1. Two months without changing your sheets is gross, but hardly unusual with college students. Unless they are caked in vomit, she's probably pretty typical.





2. It takes time and effort to click with people. Having friends two months into the year is a good thing, but it will take a year for them to feel anything like your friends from home. Try to build on these friendships- ask people if they want to meet for coffee or see a movie.





3. Being new is always an adjustment. Wherever you transfer you will have the same adjustment you're dealing with now making friends and getting used to things. Why do it twice? I would stop thinking about transferring until at least January. You need to give this school more of a shot.





ETA- If she isn't doing anything to you, there is a very good chance you won't be able to get a roommate transfer. They usually save those for people whose roommates are really difficult. The thing is unless you plan on living at home, this problem will come up again when you transfer. Most people aren't BFF with their freshman roommates, its an adjustment and soon you should find someone you could actually like living with.
The glamour of ';going away'; to school has worn off so you want to go home and continue your studies near home. What's wrong with that? Nothing. If it works for you, do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment